Redeemer Lutheran School

In August, 1957 Redeemer Lutheran Congregation purchased two lots on Oneida Street and five lots fronting Hudson Street for a school and parsonage. Ground breaking for the first Missouri Synod Lutheran School in Green Bay, Wisconsin was September 20, 1959. About a year later Redeemer Lutheran School opened its doors for one hundred five children. Walter Redeker served as teacher and principal. Charles Lind, Martha Redeker, and Roberta Lind taught the other three rooms. The building was complete with gym, stage, library, and meeting room. The “Gilson property” was purchased in 1961 to provide additional playground and parking.
As the enrollment increased in the late ‘60’s additional teachers were added. Children from neighboring Pilgrim enrolled as their parents were looking for a Christian education for their children. The library and meeting rooms became classrooms. Even the stage became a fulltime classroom for Charles Nehring. The stoves were moved in the kitchen so a morning class of second graders could have some quality time with a teacher. Every available space was used.

As Pilgrim opened its own school, so Redeemer opened its doors for the first kindergarten class in 1977 with Judy Westerfeld as teacher. The kindergarten classes were half-day, so five years later a nursery class was enrolled. In 1982 Judy Westerfeld taught kindergarten in the mornings and nursery school in the afternoons. About this time the stage was converted into a library with the curtains hiding the books for plays and musicals.

Until 1998, the principal of Redeemer was also a fulltime classroom teacher. That year, the congregation called a principal for half day teaching and half day administrative duties. The kindergarten program extended to all day and the nursery program moved to a church meeting room for a couple of years. Recently, a three year old program was added. The classrooms have two grades except for kindergarten. A Spanish program has been added to the curriculum. In 2010, a former boiler room was converted into a classroom for extended care. This program has been successful